17 Oct 2011

IIU professor takes UMNO daily to court

Harakahdaily   
Oct 17: A senior lecturer of the International Islamic University Dr Abdul Aziz Bari is taking UMNO mouthpiece Utusan Malaysia to court following its reports portraying him as being disrespectful to the Sultan of Selangor.

Recently, Aziz (left) disagreed with Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah’s decision over the Selangor Islamic Affairs Department's action against Muslim guests at the Damansara Utama Methodist Church (DUMC) last Ramadan.

The Sultan had said there was no sufficient evidence to initiate legal action against DUMC although he was convinced of attempts to undermine the Muslim faith.“I have only given my comment on whether it was appropriate for Sultan Selangor to give his statement on DUMC’s controversy. I agreed that indeed the Sultan has the power as provided in Federal Constitution. I have never disputed the power, and I don’t see why I have been attacked everyday for such a short comment,” explained Aziz, widely regarded as an expert in the Malaysian constitution.

Several police reports had been lodged against Aziz, led by UMNO senator Ezam Noor.

He was also criticised by former prime minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad, who had once led a major media campain criticising Malay rulers during the brief 1993 constitutional crisis sparked by the late Sultan of Johor's assault on hockey coach, the late Douglas Gomez.

Aziz also rubbished accusations of being disloyal and disrespectful to the Selangor Sultan.

“Show me where I went wrong in my comment,” he added.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.