17 Oct 2011

Horses' Mouths - October 17




'Right-wing budget'

When they debate in Parliament they sound like very fiscal, right-wing Republican conservatives. About fiscal deficit, about debt ... (but) nothing about the people. But our Budget can reduce fiscal deficit and ensure the people’s welfare. This is the Barisan Nasional Budget.
Najib Razak, labeling Pakatan Rakyat's budget a “right-wing Republican” budget that failed to address the needs of the people
Appease Chinese
At the same time, BN must be aware that if the government fails to fulfil the hopes of the Chinese community, MCA will not obtain support and this will deny MCA representation in the government.
Chua Soi Lek, MCA President
Willing to sacrifice
I'm not going to tell you today what I'm going to do because I still need to do some checking and coordinating. But I can assure you I am prepared to sacrifice myself for the party.
Koh Tsu Koon, Gerakan president, saying he was ready to sacrifice himself for the party

Whatever it is I have a good working relationship with Tan Sri Koh Tsu Koon... so I’ll leave it in his hands and I think he knows what needs to be done.
Najib Razak
Mahathir in defence of Sultan
(I am) uncertain Abdul Aziz broke the law, but on the level of moral values, it was disrespectful.
Dr Mahathir Mohamad, on academic Prof Abdul Aziz Bari's criticism of the monarchy's view
I have never questioned the Sultan’s position as the head of religion; in fact, I acknowledged his power. I only commented on how it was used. The treason accusations against me are to provoke the people to hate me. They have also twisted my words and said I refused to apologise.
Abdul Aziz Bari, constitutional expert, on taking legal action against Utusan Malaysia and other media for slander

Be grateful
It’s not easy to be the government; the opposition is only good at making promises which they never have to fulfil.
Muhyiddin Yassin, deputy PM

Tell all

There are leaders from these opposition parties whose applications we (the ministry) have also approved. That alone proves we do not pick sides. All this will be revealed to the committee later.
Hishamuddin Hussein, Home minister, pledging full co-operation to the parliamentary select committee (PSC) for electoral reforms

Police and polls

We are just waiting, should the government call for a general election we are ready.
Ismail Omar, Inspector General of Police

Hu’s complaints?

I received complaints from the Chinese. They want to find out more about Kelantan but no one seems able to share any details with them.
Hu Pang Chow, PAS Supporters Congress (DHPP) chief, suggesting that Kelantan government appoint Chinese-speaking officers who know the state’s development policy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.